Skip to main content

Reply to "When was/is it important to be on a high level team?"

CACO3: This post should definitely get feedback..as one said a while back in college baseball recruiting, "one size DOESN'T fit all." At 9 years old playing on a $$ team is it the parents' enjoyment or the player's? Both my boys played travel soccer early, because they liked the game and competition and for my 2015 it didn't overlap with baseball. I got to know of many town in the state.

My 2015's path wasn't so much due to the TEAM he was on, but the coach of the team he was on who had been his manager on different teams from rising 8th grade on up. (Worked out as son moved up, mgr was promoted) His manager had contacts and with the schools son was vetting. Son decided he wanted to play college ball and the conference now playing since 8th grade. Looking back (aside from talent, grades, etc), his keys were the manager in place and the organization's flexibility to allow him to play up, 17U as an 8th grader, and 19U as a 10th grader.

To answer your question in general, either 9th or 10th grade should be good to play for a team that can get visibility for the player. And playing for the BEST of the BEST TEAM on the bench is not where you want to be.  JMO