Skip to main content

Reply to "When was/is it important to be on a high level team?"

Thank you for all the responses.  Just to clarify my son is not 9, it was just a number I threw out of when I was SURE it didn't matter that a player was on an "elite" team. 

My son is 13 with a weird birthday so he's 8th grade (2020).  He was asked last Spring to join one of the "BEST" teams, but no I don't have a definition for what "BEST" means other than they go to multiple PG events, play in all the big time tourneys (where they do very well), this particular place does NOT have 10+ teams per age group, and they are known for paid lessons and player development.  Anyway, due to family and work commitments I had to decline on behalf of my son.

I ran into a person from there last week and he said "So, are you ready to come on board yet, offer is still open."  I wouldn't consider asking my son to leave his current team, but it did put the thought in my head of when is the right time to have a player with college aspirations get onto a higher level team. Apparently my son is qualified, I just don't know when it is a good time to make that move, hence my question.