Skip to main content

Reply to "When You Can Only Show One Position?"

BU4ick posted:

He's a jerk in the mound...loves buzzing kids on the inside if they stand on the plate. Secondary pitches are good (change and curve) but not consistent.

He loves both positions...not sure which one he will be. He's a bag of tools looking to become a baseball player.

Hey now....home plate is 17" of prime real estate that is 100% his.   I'm with your son on this.   Hitters have a right to stay in their little box and do whatever it is they do.  ;-)

Honestly, if it is an academic camp then I'd showcase what he feels are his best tools and what he feels most comfortable with.  Clearly academics will come into play for any coach considering him.   Any coach willing to look deeper will find a potential extra pitcher/position player for consideration.   Tough choice.   Based on the metrics you've provided it sounds like he does a lot of baseball things very well but nothing exceptional.   Possibly that is where exceptional academics can help lower the athletic bar and open some doors.....just a thought.  If your son is like many others, you're going to see those baseball numbers get much better in the coming months.

Also, I'd ask the showcase organizer if there is any way they can work him in so both pitching/position tools can he showcased....the worst that can happen is they say "no".   In the future, you may want to focus on only academic showcases that will allow him to do both.

Good luck!