Skip to main content

Reply to "Where Are The Baseball Players Going?"

Will posted:

Now you want to play it has a price tag. I see these "travel teams" and the costs to parents. You want to play you got to pay. and it does not start when the kid is 14 or 15? 

Back in my day, we kids roamed the neighborhood from morning til dinner playing baseball, football, army, riding bikes, etc. But today little Johnny 9U has a private pitching coach, hitting coach, and nutritionist. He plays travel ball spring, summer, and fall. At 9 years old, baseball is a job and an future college or pro opportunity and no longer a fun game to play with friends.

I have no idea how to fix it. Parents keep throwing money into Johnny 9U and there are all too many private coaches, travel teams, and showcases willing to take that money. Even Little League is corrupt with money and power.

Somebody needs to come up with a new Sandlot League where the kids play wiffle ball or share a few wood bats and play. The only coaches are at group clinics and practices, not games. On game days players choose up sides and just play ball. Kids get a t-shirt and a cap for their uniforms. Parents are required to leave the field at practices and games and only one non-parent umpire is there to help supervise each game.