Skip to main content

Reply to "Where are they now"

Good post MasterofNone.  That gives folks an idea at a top-25  D1 program.  Based on son's former travel teammates that have played at top D1 programs that is not surprising.  My son's best friend was at a top 5 D1 program and was more or less told after Fall baseball sophomore year he could stay on the team in the Spring but he would not play.  The team went to the College World Series when he was a freshmen and he did play.  He was devastated.  There were many others like him.  

I'll contrast that with my son's experience at a lower level D1 (Ivy) with 8 recruits freshmen year.  One did not get the anticpated playing time (position player) as a freshmen and decided to quit to focus on an international business venture.  Another freshmen (pitcher) was told he would not play the following year but he could remain on the team.  He left the team.  My son's junior year they gained a junior transfer (lefty pitcher).  They graduated with 7 from his class.  Not nearly as "exciting" as MasterofNone situation.   The point is things can vary considerably depending on the program and their recruiting demands.  Much research is needed.