Skip to main content

Reply to "Where can I play"

With your grades an IVY is a super stretch.  Even if you were god's gift to baseball, it would still be a super stretch.  Your test scores will help -- but not that much on their own.   Pretty much same is true of NESCAC.   There are lots of kids with significantly better grades and equally good or better test scores  that get turned down by such schools.   Plus you velo -- though about average for starters at competitive D3's is not STANDOUT velo.  

What's the rest of your story?   Do you have a compelling story to tell about yourself?   My son, who was not anything close to an academic superstar, by any means -- got into schools that I thought he had little or no chance of getting into, largely because he wrote some very strong personal statements that told a really compelling story about his journey -- and this was echoed by his letter writers. 

So it can be done .... but it's a tough slog. 

I would' t put my eggs in that basket if I were you.  There are LOTS of good liberal arts colleges and also state schools that would be happy to have you.   Some of them even play highly competitive baseball. 

Don't go for the name brand.  Go for the best fit.   I know so many students your age are busy chasing the prestige of the elite schools, in the belief that somehow they alone are the ticket to a good life.   It's just not true. Don't buy into the hype.  Look for a place that fits you, that you will thrive at.   There is definitely a place out there for you. 

Last edited by SluggerDad