Skip to main content

Reply to "Where do I start! So many ???'s"

quote:
My feeling is if I sit around and wait for our coach to call the colleges he is interested in it will be to late.

Bingo! You could not be more correct. Encourage your son to start contacting the coaches of schools that he is interested in attending. Have you seen the timeline or read the articles about the college search? Somewhere on here are same sample letters. I couldn't find them.
quote:
The coach thinks PG is a money trap.
I'd advise you to ignore this opinion. I can't speak specifically to PG, we did not attend PG event. IMO showcases offer the most bang for the buck in player exposure, and PG is generally regarded as the best in the baseball showcase business. Our family testimony centers on the Stanford Camp as the showcase that provided the most national exposure for our son. His performance there created significant interest from many schools. His future college coach recruited him after seeing him at this camp. Without the showcase forum, my son would not likely be attending the school is in. No need to attend several showcases. Just make sure you attend the right ones. PG can help with that. Smile

Also consider attending camps held at the 'favorite' colleges. You can learn a lot there. If you can start the relationship (letters & phone calls), it is wise to have active contact with the coaches in advance of the camp.

quote:
My son has sent letter and emails to the school he is interested in.
School or schools? Just 1 school is a pretty small market. I hope that is a typo. Cast a wider net. We started by targeting conferences, then schools within the conference. Ended up not mattering. The school our son attends was never on out list!

Best of luck to you & your son. Be proactive and together 'own' the process. If you rely on HS & college coaches to lead you through this cycle you may end up very disappointed.
Last edited by dbg_fan