Skip to main content

Reply to "Where do players get their skill from?"

I have been on the staff of 2 state champs and a state runner up. We once won 64 games in a row. Not one kid took professional lessons. I think beenthereil can make a good point for luck but I have always felt that luck was opportunity waiting for a place to happen. We speak in terms of one great hit, one great pitch, one great play and you can go. However, you have to do that every game of the state run.

When it all comes down to the basics, it is who has practiced the fundamentals the most seeking improvement in every facet of the game each and every time they practice. It is practicing for a purpose. In practice, "ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS EVERYTHING." Next you have to factor in the kids. It takes an entire team to win state. The kids on the bench have to be able to contribue in various ways. An example would be the backup catcher. He has to be able to go into the game at any point and contribue while also accepting the drudgery of bullpen work. As much as any other factor, the mental toughness of the team will determine success. That is something that can't be coached and is inherit in the players. Winning state is never easy. When you do it, it is a feeling like you can never imagine.

"There comes a time when you have to stop dreaming of the man you want to be and start being the man you have become." Bruce Springsteen