Skip to main content

Reply to "Where does this pitcher fit in"

Ok, I'll bite.  I'm going to refer back to my formula...recruited = passion + skill + exposure + persistence + luck.

In the back of my mind, I'm asking these questions:   What is it that separates your son from others?  Who will he be in front of this summer?   Which colleges are currently interested?  What kind of student is he?  Who is helping him get to the next level?  What does he want to do when he graduates high school or college?

I assume your son is interested in playing at the next level.  Your son needs a plan, and needs it now.   Sit down with your son and map out the next 5 years in terms of academics, athletics and finances.  Discuss what he wants to do when he graduates, and the path you are going to take to get there.  Then begin making a long list of colleges that have his major, location, baseball and all the things important to him.   In general terms, as a rising senior there aren't going to be many scholarship options with D1 or D2, you're only option there would be to walk-on without a scholarship which is very risky.   So, that leaves, D3, JUCO and NAIA schools.   At a high level, that is where I'd spend my time if he wants to play baseball at the next level.  So, this is something he should have been doing months ago, but I suspect the injury played a part in that.  It wouldn't hurt to have a travel coach or high school coach reach out on his behalf as well.   

So, my youngest son was in a very similar position as your son.  He was throwing mid-80s and touching 87-88 as a high school junior, but he only had 2 plus pitches (two seam fastball and curve) and an okay 3rd pitch (change-up).  There were a few ODAC (D3 in Virginia) schools and a couple others offering him roster spots.  Then he tore his UCL in August before his high school senior year started.   He was devastated.   The recruiting phone stopped ringing.   I know this injury was very disappointing for your son (and family) but he has an opportunity to recover and find a program if he gets the right exposure strategy in front of the right recruiters.   He's going to have to separate himself with his performance and any other asset he brings to the table.   I'd strongly consider travel baseball plus any individual showcases where he can stand out from the crowd.

Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth