Skip to main content

Reply to "Where does this pitcher fit in"

How long ago was this? Lol. I’m all for it as I personally feel velo is wildly overrated today, but with the showcase, pg, etc craze...it’s all that ever is discussed. Even announcers are focused on it routinely. All I ever hear consistently in D1 is 90 and above for fastballs

The first 3 years between '16 and '18 when son played P5 college ball, the starters primarily sat mid to high 80's and touched 90. You wanted to get through the lineup 3 times requiring a lot more pitching than just velo. BP guys were the 90 and up group. His team was ranked within the top ten at some point during the year, all 3 years. They averaged around 10th in the country in recruiting classes as well during his time there.

There were starters who were 90 and up on the FB and if they were LHP, it was more rare.  This isn't a blanket statement of course, as we faced several top programs that ran guys out who were all above 90 and had great secondary pitches. If a HC could get those, life gets easier but I think those guys are primarily at the top-level programs in the country.

Mid majors or lower are more likely in the OP's range depending on the program and success.

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks