Skip to main content

Reply to "Where does this pitcher fit in"

Hey, my 2021 son has a similar profile. He played for a big travel program with great connections, which was a huge help in finding him a landing spot. He pitched great at 16U and 17U WWBA last year, but no one saw him due to COVID, all they had were a HA camp metrics that were so-so. Some sniffs from D2 schools, nothing at all from DI. Wound up with a great fit with HA DIII. DI isn't the be-all-end-all and neither is throwing 90. I think kids like my son need to understand who they are, keep lifting and working hard, and if that velo comes, it comes, and they'll be the better pitcher for it. I think the travel program GM and pitching coach were huge for him. They could've sat on their hands with all the big DI guys they have, but they went the extra mile and I think that was a big difference maker finding the right place. It was one of the few times I felt that the travel ball money was really worth it. And size also plays a big factor, as mentioned. My son is maybe 6'1, 175 lbs. If he was 6'3 maybe a different story. Good luck and wishing your son continued good health! It'll work out for him in the end. Just don't get wrapped up in the DI or bust mentality.