Skip to main content

Reply to "Where is the interest?"

TR spoke of reality hitting home. Sometimes it's cruel. Sometimes it's just a matter of the Good Lord rubbing salve on the eyes and making the blind (we parents) see things for what they are. All of us would like to believe that our sons are DI talents and it reinforces our belief when organizations like PG tell us as much (my son also got a PG rating that stated "DI prospect, possible low draft pick"). They are very good at what they do and I believe they are correct in their evaluations. But they are almost TOO objective when, as we found out, coaches and scouts are very subjective. Coaches know what they want, what size, shape, speed, personality ect...their opinions are all very personal and have a lot to do with "gut feelings" as well. You just can't predict or gauge it all the time. They also know their specific needs for a particular season and that's not always going to match up the way you want.
In our case, as with almost eveyone else, we had our sites set on DI, but when it became apparent that the interest just wasn't there (ie ZERO calls in July) then it was time to branch out and start listening when we saw interest from the lower divisions. My son is at peace with it now. The end result, and it may not be the end yet, is that there has been lots of interest from the DIII level. Among others, he has three DIII coaches really pouring it on, courting him heavily. All three are very good schools and all have a very present need for a solid player at his position.
It's still a bit of a mystery to us why the higher divisions seem to be passing him up but one thing he knows at this point is that he is wanted and needed SOMEWHERE. He also knows that he's going to get a great education and that he will get a fair shot at playing time as a Freshman. We've watched scrimmages and intrasquad games at these schools this fall and there is no question he'll play, and possibly be a stand out player at this level. He's looking forward to it.