Skip to main content

Reply to "Where is the interest?"

BlueDevilDad:

My son is also an 07 grad and was ranked 7.0 by PG at 3 different showcase events. He has also attended 3 DI camps to which he was invited and was invited to 3 others which he could not attend. He played summer ball on a good but not great travel team that played not only in West Virginia, but in Kentucky, Tennessee & North Carolina. Yet the only DI schools that have expressed any interest in him were schools that I researched and sent letters to early in his junior year. [Sent letters and stats to 6 DI schools and received immediate replies back from only one]. None of them came to see him play high school his junior year or last summers travel team even though they had his high school and travel schedule. This summer, after sending out a 2.5 minute highlight tape to all 6 DI schools [and 5 out of state DII schools], we received several more camp invites but no real interest.

The only real "interest" from any school that we did not send a letter to that he has become aware of at this point is from two DII schools all within 100 miles from our residence. It frustrates one to spend that much money and time and end up being recruited solely by coaches who saw your son play in high school and want him based on that alone and I empathise with you.

However, there is still one DI school that my son likes very much and is a geat fit that has invited him down again to visit. We are going to check it out but we KNOW that 2 of the 3 "local" schools are very interested in him for baseball and we have already applied for Early "Advantage" at both schools. He has been accepted at one and we have received the finiancial aid forms and are filling them out and sending it off. He has applied to the other but we have not yet heard about his acceptance. {He is a 3 sport athlete, has a 4.0 GPA, 28 ACT cumulative and will most likely be Valdictorian of his Senior class}. The schools all want him [he gets letters from the admissions offices of Ivy League schools, Patriot League Schools and other colleges ranked among the best academic schools in the country] but the baseball coaches don't seem at all intereted. So, we are reacting accordingly.

You are getting some good advice here from posters like hokieone, lafmom, observer44 & PopTime [especially his last paragraph]. Heed that advice and bcome more pro-active. A lot of things will chage around the middle of November and don't get caught waiting in Never/never Land with no options. Good luck.

TW344