Skip to main content

Reply to "Where is the interest?"

BlueDevilDad,

Our situation is much likes yours and here is how my son has decided to handle it.
My son is gifted academically as well. He is ranked #1 in his senior class in GPA. He is a 6'0 160lb lefy who will be the #1 starter on his team this year. He plays 4A Texas High school baseball which is considered pretty solid baseball in the Texas ranks. Until this year my son had never been to a showcase or camp. My son was able to hook up with a very strong and well respected Select baseball team this Fall who is making the showcase rounds in Texas and then to the PG in Jupiter later this month.

My son and I have sent out many emails and letters stating his interest in their school both academically and athletically and like you have not had very much activity. I will say that I do not know if it is the norm, but some of the coaches have seen him in the showcases and have given his high school coach a call. But as for us, no calls, no letters etc......

First showcase my son attended his high school coach told him a school had called and said they clocked him at 83 (did not specify if cruising)and said he was sneaky fast. That was about it.

Next showcase this past weekend went well and coach said he talked to a couple of strong D1'S who saw him pitch and they liked his mechanics, said they liked his quick arm, said he had above average changeup and above average curveball. They also said the clocked him at 84. His coach then told him one school would like to see a 2-3 mph increase in velocity and the other usually pays money for 87+.

Like I said BDD, it has been pretty quite around our household. Just the coach getting feedback.

What my son has decided to do is work his butt off with his coach and try to reach that magic number. If this happens and one of the schools come calling, great. If not, he already has applied to the school he wants to attend academically and will try to walk on. If he does not make it, he will hang up his cleats, put in his four years, get his degree and get on with life.

He loves baseball and is very good at it. But also is very smart and realistic and knows when its time to move on in life. Smile