Skip to main content

Reply to "Where is the Northeast???.. Not on the Road to Omaha"

Many props to Uconn for coming from the losers bracket to make the Super Regionals. Nothing would stand up for northeast baseball like a northern team making the final 8. No one can argue that the north is better than the south as a whole right now, but there needs to be trend-setters like Uconn who start to tilt the balance.

First came George Mason, then came the VCU's and Butler's of the basketball world. Now mid-majors make it deep into March Madness all the time. Teams will start to replicate what a school like Uconn doea ( in baseball), and soon enough every year there will be a "Uconn" or two sneaking into the College World Series.

You will very rarely get all final four teams in basketball to be mid-majors, but it is no longer rare to see a team from a smaller conference in the mix. I think the same thing is now happening in baseball. If I am a northerner and know that a school like Uconn has top of the line facilities and a real chance to make Omaha, all of a sudden I don't need to go to LSU anymore.

And on a final note, what a year for Uconn. BCS game in football, National Championship in basketball, and Super Regional in baseball! ( and these are only the major sports that come to mind right away)

Ken Jacobi

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School, and Life as a Division I College Athlete"