Skip to main content

Reply to "Where is the self-assessment?"

What’s the difference between the described scenario and a kid with solid mid major potential who takes the dream school P5 offer and it doesn’t work out?  Either way self assessment was poor.

There was a kid on my son’s high school team who never got more than a handful of garbage innings and at bats. The team had a lot of depth. From my son’s junior year roster twelve players played college ball at some level including this kid.

The kid played Legion ball in the summer. Legion ball was terrible in our area. The kid went on to play at a HA D3 that didn’t win often. He graduated with his name on several of the school’s top ten all time lists.

I know a dad who left no dollar unspent from age thirteen to eighteen on his LL stud son. The kid didn’t start at a 2A (of 6A) high school. A name travel program had no problem taking the dad’s money and putting him on the C teams every year. The kid sat for four years of college ball on a very large roster. But dad brags his kid played college ball. The uninformed think of the CWS they saw on tv and say, “Wow!”