Skip to main content

Reply to "Where to go from here"

Originally Posted by Justdey:

Hello all. I'm a newbie here with a 2020 grad who's in 8th this fall and 13yo (until April). Last spring he played on a couple of travel teams and a school team (he was the only 7th grader on the team).  All three teams had varying season starts/stops and all overlapped for about two weeks which happened to be right at the same time as final exams. He chose soccer over fall ball but LOVES his baseball and has big dreams (like every other boy). 

He's a smart talented utility player. He's not the "star" on the team, but can play almost anywhere. Each team used him differently, which gave him some good experience.  He pitches, catches, SS, 2nd and CF. We work with a pitching coach who's all about protecting his arm and he does extremely well on the mound. I think he could be much better in the other positions and his hitting could improve, but the problem we've noticed is there isn't much "coaching" going on. Only his school team practiced with regularity last year and the frequency diminished all together once the season started. The travel teams really didn't practice at all. One came with so much drama we have already decided we won't return to it. I'm not sure the other travel team will even exist next year (it was run by a dad who isn't sure he'll do it).  Neither travel team  performed particularly well and frankly, many of the boys playing just weren't as serious about the game as my kid. A few are, but I can't help thinking there are better choices to help cultivate his talent and help him focus on becoming a better player (something he talks about constantly).  

So my questions:

How do I find a more "serious" travel team (we're in Philly area) for him?  

Or should I find off season coaching for him and stick with the school team? 

We are looking at high schools now. What's the best kind of program to facilitate playing in college (should he be so talented and lucky)?  I've looked through a lot of the forums and it seems like there are certain classifications that get more recognition, but I'm unfamiliar with what means what.

He's our oldest so we haven't been through this before ... and I'm from the South where the path to playing in HS has a much more distinct route.

Thanks in advance!

As best as I can I would suggest the following.  As the kids get older, they need to work on their own.  There isnt a lot of time in school based ball.  So finding some offseason instruction is a good idea.  

As as for a new travel team you just have to do your research in your area.  Ask around.  If you're serious about college start looking at the college exposure type teams. You have a year or two.    

Id pick the high school with the best academics. In many cases they are also the strongest athletic programs.