Skip to main content

Reply to "Where to go from here"

Ok, here goes, and this is just my opinion...

At your sons age he is still learning how to play the game.  At this point I would put the whole college thing out of your mind (for the most part - I will explain when I get there).  You should be focusing on learning the fundamentals on the big field.  In order to do that I would suggest looking for the highest level team he can play on while still seeing significant on field time.  Don't worry about playing up or down unless thats the only way you can get him on the field and challenge him.  If he is playing up and does not see the field that does him no good.  If he is playing down and dominating that does him no good as well.  My son is now a JR in HS and we have not had one college coach ask us at what level did he play 14u ball.  Other then that you need to find a team he enjoys playing with and make sure he is having fun.

As a generality I have found that most coaches at both the travel level and the HS level do not spend a lot of time coaching individuals.  The spend most of their time working through the team aspects of the game.  Things like defensive coverage or batting situations.  Breaking it down, if you have a 2 hour practice with 15 kids on the team you only have about 8 minutes per kid to work with each one individually.  Most kids I know who are serious about developing their skills spend time outside of team practices working with individual coaches.  During the off season my son works with a hitting coach (60 min/week), a pitching coach (30 min twice a week), a strength and conditioning coach (twice a week, but puts together a program for other days) and attends specific skills (2 hours no more then 10 kids at one time) practices for his fielding positions.  Over the years we have found that the majority of individual development is achieved during the off season working with his individual coaches.  During the season he generally drops all his coaches but his hitting coach and then his time with him is hit or miss depending on schedule.    

I would not factor the HS into the college recruiting equation.  The majority of baseball recruiting is done through travel teams and showcases these days.  Unless your son is a total stud the majority of his recruiting time will come the summer after his junior year in HS.  

Now, on to the one area where you may want to factor college recruiting into your decision.  Your selection of his travel/club team.  If he is really serious about playing after HS then the right organization can make a big difference.  I keep repeating this, and Im sure others are sick of my evangelizing this, but it really helps if you are in the right organization.  There are many different levels of travel ball.  Just picking out a team that wins all the time and has a reputation as being the best around is not going to be enough.  You need to look at how the organization is structured and make sure it matches up with your goals.  For instance my son was playing on what was/is considered a very good travel team in our area.  We won lots of tourneys, league championships, state championships, etc.  The problem is our organization did not know how to get the kids in front of the right guys.  Folks thought they did, but they did not.  Yes we would play in the big regional tourney, or tourneys at the colleges, they would even send a team to PG every year.  None of it mattered as they did not have the contacts needed to really get the kids noticed.  The organization listed 5 to 10 kids every graduating class who went on to play college ball.  They didn't tell you that most those kids left for one of about 4 other organizations in our state once they hit HS.

Contrast this to the team we have left for. We barely play any traditional tourneys.  We play lots of round robin events against the same teams every weekend all summer long.  Winning is not the top priority (learning to play at the next level and getting the kids into college is).  Thing is this team works with a local scout organization and has a reputation for turning out college ready players.  We see recruiters at our games every weekend.  This organization lists 20 to 30 players every year who go on to play college ball.  They will not list a player unless he actually graduates while in our program.  

What I am getting at is this.  If you can find an organization that is more concerned about developing kids and getting them in college at the HS level and they run a lower level division for non HS age players you may want to consider that program.  Its easier to move up within an organization then try to get into once HS starts.

Again, please don't take my explanation of what to look for as you need to consider college now, just keep it in your mind as this is one factor in the total evaluation of a program. 

I am not in your area so I can't suggest any programs.  Im sure others will pipe up.  All I can suggest you do is start asking around in your area.  The baseball community, especially at the upper levels, is fairly small and you should be able to get information by asking around.