Skip to main content

Reply to "Where to start for college Recruiting?"

A video is good. Nothing wrong with e-mailing some recruiting coordinators the video in addition to position, grad year, grades, etc. Do not expect to get much feedback other than some camp invites....at first anyway.

Download a mail tracker for your outgoing e-mail (my son used mail tracker for GMail). It is a good tool to see if your e-mails are actually being opened and if links are being clicked. Helps narrow down things if you send info to multiple schools. 

Camps and showcases were beneficial for my son only from junior year on. Opposite of your son however - he was tall yet very skinny. Only after hitting the gym hard and gaining some weight did the real attention from colleges begin. Your mileage may vary with how early you start camps and showcases.

Different Coaches from the University my son committed to saw him 3 times:

First Time: PTW showcase (son hit well and introduced himself to coach at the end of the event and got good feedback). Event was in late summer - son was a rising Junior.

Second Time: A different assistant coach saw son at a weekend tournament (son had e-mailed schools to advise that he would be playing). This was early in his Junior Year.

Third Time: Head Coach watched son during Area Code tryouts. This was summer of senior year.

Invite to campus and offer came a week later. 

Have your son focus on getting better. Use his travel ball team contact as a tool in the recruiting process not an end all be all. The responsibility to get exposure falls on your son and you supporting him. Good luck!