Skip to main content

Reply to "Which is more attractive to a college coach?"

roothog66 posted:
real green posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

I've seen 16U and 17U guys throwing 95+ get rocked because their fastball is predictable and straight.  

Really?  Give me some names of 16u-17u 95+ guys that are not effective because they throw to many strikes.  

I will say that I saw a highly regarded 2018 throwing 94 at the PG Junior Nationals get absolutely lit up. My son, who was a PO so didn't face him at the plate, said that guys in the dugout reported that once you zeroed in on the velocity, he was actually pretty easy to make contact off of. This, however, hasn't seemed to hurt his stock much.

First that's 94 not 95+.  =-) Being sarcastic....  Second inferring that 16u and 17u throwing 95+ is common and those who do and pound the zone get rocked.  

No doubt it happens.  Hitting is contagious.  Facing a dominant FB pitcher that a team rocks.  It's the game.  I have seen more "control" true pitcher guys get rocked than +++ velocity guys.   

In LL our team faced a +++ velocity pitcher that was known to mow through teams.  Our lead off hitter had a 9 pitch AB that ended in a double.  Instantly confidence grew within the dugout.  He WAS hittable.   We scored 2 in the first inning and 6 by third when they pulled him out.  That doesn't mean the pitcher throwing 70 at LL distance sucked, we just strung some hits together and our batters gained confidence.