Skip to main content

Reply to "Which is more attractive to a college coach?"

2020dad posted:
mdschert posted:
2020dad posted:

So much here...  90>87.  Period. But the good news is both will probably make it. Regardless of the nay sayers you simply have to do a little independent research and you will see D1 is littered with guys who topped 87 in high school.  So if you are throwing 87 with good command you are a D1 prospect. Just maybe not a Sunday pitcher at a power 5!  

Tall is an advantage. This topic has been the proverbial dead horse around here so I will leave it at that. 

FYI from a previous conversation on here I learned MLB pitchers throw about 41% strikes. Trick is making your pitches close enough for a swing but not easily hit. So command is essential - high strike percentage is bad as others have eluded to. 

Finally I am going to carefully read the stuff from Kyle - thanks for posting!

FYI, Clayton Kershaw has a 69% strike ratio.

Sorry, I should clarify that.  The number I was referencing was the percentage of balls actually thrown in the strike zone.  I am assuming the number you are quoting counts all strikes, like if they swing and miss on a ball away.  So yes there are always going to be more strikes than just those actually thrown in the zone.  And that is the trick to get them to swing at balls that are just outside the zone.  And of course 41% is the average there will be outliars in both directions.  

last year the Zone percentage of the league was 45% in MLB. strike percentage was around 60%.