Skip to main content

Reply to "Which lifts are safe for baseball?"

Back squatting is not bad for baseball players, but squatting can cause the shoulder to compress and potentially be pushed into a high risk position where you can potentially impinge / compress the components of the shoulder.  This will depend on the person, the weight, and the squat technique.  Everyone is different.  If you squat and feel that you are starting to have a shoulder problem, adjust your bar type or change to front squats.  No reason to continue to perform any lift if there are issues preventing you from performing the lift. Lift with a purpose - periodization 8 week cycles, no more than 3-5 reps on the last week, two weeks off, and start over by adding 5-10 lbs to your first week starting weight (adjust as needed).  This is a proven and simple strategy that will build a good base, and provide many years of lifting, with little risk of injury. You could do 12 week cycles in the same method, but for me, I would burn out and not be able to perform the expected lifts as I got further into the cycle.  Most likely due to nutrition and sleep, so I adjusted and was able to stick with 8 week cycles. Unless I was going to attempt a competition, there was no reason to perform peak 1 rep max lifts. Stick with the cycles, they work.   Drug use will change everything I just said.