Skip to main content

Reply to "Which lifts are safe for baseball?"

I don't want to speak on Cressey's behalf but I believe that his goal is not to necessarily strike fear in anybody that performs these exercises, rather he is trying to explain that there are certain exercises that are not optimal for the demands of baseball players. Are back squats bad for baseball players? In most cases I'm sure pitchers could back squat there entire career and never experience any pain or discomfort from doing them.

When you look at the anatomical position of the shoulder during back squats compared to front squats then you can see that in theory the shoulder joint is in a healthier position. The difference really isn't that big in my opinion, but Cressey has years and years of experience and research. He is working with million dollar athletes and he is trying to minimize the risk of injury as much as he possibly can. So back squats my not be bad, but they are not optimal. They are not the best possible variation that a baseball player could perform. 

If a player can receive the same benefits using lunge, split squat, and other squat variations as opposed to back squats then it would make sense to do what is necessary to increase performance and decrease injury risk.