Skip to main content

Reply to "Who are the best D3 college baseball programs at this time?"

RJM posted:

Congratulations to your son. Goegraphy aside, if kids get into CalTech and MIT which school do they typically select?  I’m guessing if NASA is the goal it would be CalTech due to JPL’s location. But otherwise? 

MIT is decent in baseball. They were 19-14 in 2018. They played 15 games (4-11) against ranked or strong, typically ranked teams. They were 11-6 in conference. 

Thanks RJM. I don't know if there's a pattern or preference between the 2 necessarily. Lots of factors at play. I know JPL is a lure for my son who wants to study physics. He would probably play more baseball at Caltech, but not be nearly as competitive as MIT I'm sure. He loves the LA climate, but a little apprehensive about being so far from home. Another kid from his HS actually is playing baseball at MIT (Soph) and he would know him. He's toured both schools already, and a nerdy physics major like him can't go wrong at either one. He may not have a decision between the two as he isn't as strongly supported for baseball at MIT - we'll know Saturday.