Skip to main content

Reply to "Who develops players? It depends on age."

Originally Posted by jolietboy:
Lol.  Was wondering how long we would just continue hijacking that thread!  Thanks for starting a new one cause I think its an important question.   I am a firm believer in reps are the best teacher/developer.  Thousands and thousands of reps.  And the majority of the burden is on the player themselves.  Next the parents.  Agree with what some others have said, high school should be for fine tuning not developing.  With all due respect if you don't have the basics down by high school that's probably an issue.

I wonder how many players who make it to the pro's were self-motivated enough to do thousands and thousands of reps on their own as young players, joliet. I've read about many who didn't until they got to 16-17 ... but were still very successful. 

And while I know from your previous posts that you're a great coach and dad, I'm not like you, inasmuch as I CANNOT watch videos and see what JP is doing differently from an MLB hitter. So I've tended to want him to do his reps in front of real coaches, rather than lock in on bad habits with me. Point is -- reps are only as good as they are done properly, right? And no 6-12 year old kid needs to be doing reps.