Skip to main content

Reply to "Who develops players? It depends on age."

My son for some reason fell in love with the game at an extremely young age of 4. He was able to start T ball early somehow because he always seemed to be able to naturally throw, catch and hit.

I never really played other then a little sandlot with 3 guys on a side. So I did not know much at all.

He started Little League and had GREAT coaches, some of whom had played MiLB, so he was getting good stuff.

I worked with him and we threw every day. I would also put him near the back fence and throw one hoppers at him for an hour, and got him to dive for balls.

We have a pool with a diving board and I would throw tennis balls at him as he dove off the board and he would try to catch them just before they would hit the water. He got so good at that that I began throwing two tennis balls at the same time trying to keep them close to each other and he would dive in the pool and catch one in each hand.

By the time he was 10 I was taking him to Tampa 80 miles away every week for hitting lessons. By the time he was 16 I was taking him weekly to Lakeland, 90 miles away for fielding and hitting.

He always has had an insatiable desire to play ball, and still seems his happiest while on a baseball diamond.

Or Fishing, which we still get to do together.

Last edited by floridafan