Skip to main content

Reply to "Who Gets Credit for the Double Play?"

quote:
Originally posted by 2Slim:
Don't think I could use a Palm. I'm a pencil & paper guy as well, so I can empathize.

I believe that I can get a better feel for game situations, trigger my memory, and identify my own scoring errors better/quicker by having the book in front of me to look over as a whole.

I will be trying something new this year as well though....charting Pitcher Effectiveness and Dominance. I found them net-surfing over the winter...looked kind of interesting to me.

Basically, scores are given to the pitchers on how well they performed in game/batter situations and counts. It's a pretty simple system, but yet one more thing to keep track of for sure.

Sometimes we (scorekeepers) try to do too much. On our team I keep the book the and download everything to a program called Ball Stat (www.ballstat.com). We also have another person who sits directly behind home plate. His/her job is to track pitch type/location. In high school you can keep it simple by goung with Fastball/Breaking Ball/Change Up and maybe a Knuckleball.

The person who tracks this type of stuff usually carries a binder with sheets that represent the grid of the strike zone. Pitch location and pitch type are noted on each sheet then given to me whare I can input them into my program at the same time as I input the game.

Just an option but I know it is way easier to have two people involved because its really a two person job.