Skip to main content

Reply to "Who gets the win?"

quote:
The point is that most HS scorers don't know what they're doing.
I don't believe a blanket statement is appropriate. You should only make the comment about your son's school. It depends who's keeping score. I've coached travel through 18U. I keep score for my son's high school team. I know what I'm doing. And when in doubt I look it up or ask reliable sources that evening.

There are people keeping score who don't know the rules. But the biggest offenders of ignorance are the parents who question decisions when they don't know the rules. My favorite is "It has to be a hit. No one touched it" after two outfielders do a rain dance under a ball to the tune of "I got it, you got it." One claimed it was a hit since it didn't touch the infielder going through his legs.

Here's one for you: Ground ball to second. Off the bat it looks like a routine groundout to second. The second baseman doesn't mishandle the ball. He takes a long time getting the ball out of his glove. He looks at the ball. He double pumps. He throws a floater to first. The hitter beats the throws by inches. What's the call?
Last edited by RJM