Skip to main content

Reply to "Who gets the win?"

RJM: Didn't mean to offend you. I know there are good scorers out there who care. I get fed up with these scorers who either haven't been trained (more politically correct way of saying don't know what they're doing) or simply don't take the time to figure out the winning and losing pitcher. I think this is disrespectful of the game. Everyone involved in the game (players, coaches, umpires) should respect the game if nothing else. The scorer should as well. Obviously you're one of those (like myself) who does their best to get it right. Won't say I do every time, but I try. My book doesn't even count.

I think bad scorers are not just present at our high school, but through our whole conference (at least). Most of them use a student in the dugout. My son has told me on his team, the players attempt to convince her to change her scoring decisions (he deserved a hit on that one, come on...). Not the player who hit it, but the bench players doing this. I think this is wrong as well.

Not taking the time on the WP/LP is frequent when the home team loses. They usually just give the decision to the starter. This is how my son can get a 4 inning save, a blown save and a save in the same game or a pitcher who throws the first 5 innings of an extra inning game get a win and the pitcher who started for the losing team who went six get the loss.

I think teams have their pitchers try and figure out which runs are earned, but don't get me started on figuring earned runs. (can't resist) I swear the only way some of these runs can be unearned is if they score an error on the pitcher for throwing a fast ball down the middle that gets hit hard. I think every kid on our team has an ERA that is at least .5 on the low side. I know my son has given up two more earned runs than they've credited him with. They got the runs, so it isn't that.

On your question, I'd have to bite my tounge and score a hit as slow playing of the ball is not an error. Dad43 posted the answer anyway.