Skip to main content

Reply to "Who gets the win?"

quote:
A pitcher can't blow a save then receive credit for a save. If the game became tied and then the team took the lead while he was pitching, he was the winning pitcher despite pitching ineffectively.

Here's a related scoring situation for you - just curious, it doesn't matter a bit to me!

A scorer tried to give my son both a Win and a Save for a HS game once. He pitched the first 5 innings of the first game of the season. Since the team had a comfortable lead (about 5 or 6 runs I think) and it was just the start of the season, the coach had a reliever pitch the 6th inning while my son went to 1B - his pitch count was low and arm felt fine, but it seemed like an opportunity to spread the innings out. The other pitcher gave up something like 4 or 5 runs in one inning, so the team now only had a 1-run lead. The coach brought son back over to the mound for the 7th inning, which was scoreless.

The A.D. was at the game and told scorer he should give both Win and Save to my son.

Not that it mattered to anyone, but that's not possible, is it? (I think they ended up counting only the Win.)

Julie