Skip to main content

Reply to "Who is really in charge???"

In my opinion (like it’s worth much) the release of the staff is probably related more to the antics of the players while at Durham than the minor league's W-L record. Like infielddad I have a son in the minors (same team) and it becomes obvious the rosters are “altered” by the upper management. Playing time seems influenced more by dollars invested by the parent club than the on-field performance of the player(s). If the team starts to “gel” and win ball games this is just a signal that the main contributors will soon be moved to the next level. I understand this is the way it has to happen in order for the parent club to maximize the contribution from their minor league teams. The W-L record of a minor league team means different things to different people. The fans love it and I’m sure the minor league coaches love it but other than that it is somewhat insignificant. Player development is the main focus of the minor system. So the next time you see a highly touted minor league pitcher on the mound struggling to throw strikes or a first rounder outfielder go 0 for 4 with 4K’s, and you wonder ---- “What in the world is the coach doing when he has “better” players on the bench that can win this ball game?” --- the answer is “his job”.
Fungo