Skip to main content

Reply to "Who is the best 16u Travel baseball team in the state of VA?"

It depends......

You stated "Travel". IMO, there's a difference between showcase and travel.

My experience with showcase is you show up and play in front of recruiters/scouts. Yes, you might have a practice here and there, but that's not always the case. There's no daddy-ball. The coaches are normally paid professionals. The kids on the team have college/MLB potential talent. Players usually play one or two positions. And yes, the Canes "showcase" their kids very-very well.

Travel is more developmental. These teams, IMO, are coached by a dad(s) and are associated with a league. For 16U, they might attend a "showcase" or two during the season. The "showcases" we attended with our old travel team wasn't really a showcase that we are now accustomed to. HOWEVER, my son was able to play (develop) in three positions.

Most of the kids on our showcase team have a showcase team and a travel team. The showcase team will play in six or seven events (usually weekends) during the summer. Maybe four during the fall. In between the showcase events, kids play on a travel team for weekday baseball. There are some teams up here that are both showcase and travel. They compete in the NVTBL travel league and attend six to seven showcase events.

So, to answer your question.....I think the consensus is obvious on the showcase team. For travel, I can only speak for NoVa. My guess would have to be the good teams associated with NVTBL--Stars, Renegades, and Dragons. I'm not sure about the Renegades and Dragons, the Stars are both showcase and travel. Those three top my list for travel teams.

Showcase:
1. Canes
2. Richmond Braves/Virginia Cardinals (tie)
3. NoVa Patriots (quickly rising)

Travel:
1. Stars (under new Mgt)
2. Dragons
3. Renegades