Skip to main content

Reply to "Who is the best agent?"

voodoo, you really need some love in your life. Really, calm down.

Ok, since you jump to conclusions and start putting words in my mouth, I'll explain what I meant...and this is the last reply I post for any of your comments.

1.) Some agents are much better developing a young player than others. Agree? Hence, I would recommend this type of agent to a kid just signing. Ideally, the athlete would stick with him, given that the agent's services progress along with the Kid's career.

2.) In my opinion, a kid needs an agent who will give him as much personal attention as possible. He needs to have an agent who is willing to assure a smooth transition from high/school/college to the pros, and who will watch out for his development in the early stages of their career. In addition, I think personal contact from between the agent and the kid's family should be paramount.

We have to remember that an 18 year old kid is just that, a kid. He'll be leaving home for the first time, leaving his family behind. They will be emotionally affected (generally) as much as the ballplayer. I personally believe the agent should stay in touch, personally not through a representative, with the family in order to make sure their transition also goes as smooth as possible.

While some big name agents may do so, others will not. Consequently, the "best agent" is not necessarily the one with the most recognizable name, or with the most experience. Other factors must come into play. Wouldn't you agree?

3.) I disagree with you on the training. In today's ballgame, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a ballplayer, at any level, who doesn't try and work his but off during the offseason. I have all my players under the supervision of a duly certified/lescensed strength and conditioning coach.

In my view, it is much safer and more efficient than leaving the kid to train on his own. It also allows them to arrive at spring training in optimal shape. By the way, ask any Major League GM, and they'll agree that they appreciate a kid who puts forth the extra effort in the offseason.

4.) As far as media coverage, I disagree with you again. Don't get me wrong, I understand your worry. I definetly do not want to swarm any kid with reporters. However, I devise a marketing strategy for all my players that includes their initial foray in the local newspapers. Initially it is mostly small briefs and notes in the local paper; eventually graduating, in a couple of years, to television and nationwide outlets.

I do, however, talk to all my kids before-hand to gauge their view of the press. It is always their choice. If they wan't no media coverage whatsoever, then "their wish is my command."

Generally, though, I find that the coverage motivates them to work harder at their goals. Just my experience.

The media exposure can be helpful as well. For instance, one of my players was just named the Rookie of the Year of one of the big Winter Leagues. Two-Three weeks prior to teh voting, I set up a couple of interviews to promote his candidacy because it was a tight race. I have no doubt that said pieces directly impacted the voters by letting them know who he was and what he had done.

5.) Lastly, I think you mistakenly though I would be doing the personal training. As I said, I hire a duly certified/liscensed strength and conditioning coach to work with the kids' need, which I derive from communicating with the different organizations' Player Development Depts.

By the way, I am a certified strength and conditioning coach, as well as having been a U.S.A. Boxing certified trainer for six years (I've been a boxer for the past ten years), having led some of my fighters to a berth on Team USA. If it was me, which it is not, I think they'd be in good hands.

FM
Last edited {1}