Skip to main content

Reply to "Who is the best agent?"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DocBall:
"Multi-year deals and arbitration cases are most important. Agreed, If you happen to be a highest level major league player.Those who are looking for advice on this site do not require arbitration. They need help starting their career and signing the best possible contract. First things first, get the career started."

Isn't that what a draft prospect player aspires to be "a highest level major league player"? If not, why bother? If so, isn't it better to find an Agent who can help you with your entire career?

Also, chances are that if an Agent has experience in Arbitration & multi-year deals he also has the experience & contacts necessary to help a draft prospect get his career started. In my opinion, that's a much better choice than going with someone & hoping that when/if you make it he will have gained the necessary experience to help you. Otherwise you will be jumping from Agent to Agent to find someone who can.

"The best thing an advisor can do is get teams to know as much good as possible about his player and create as much interest as possible before the draft. Talk to the clubs abd promote the player as much as possible. Often the negotiations take place before the draft is even held."

Thanks for the advice Einstein. I never would have thought of that.

"Most never go through arbitration so high school or college players getting an agent because of that is meaningless. Do step one first. Then many years down the road you will know if you have the right guy for an arbitration case."

Wrong. See above comments.

"Most agents don't have a lot of experience in arbitration.The easiest thing in the world is to get rid of or change agents if you need to."

That's why you pick one who does have experience, so you don't have to jump from Agent to Agent if you make the right choice.

"One question I would ask is who do you represent. Unless your with a giant firm, how much time and interest will you have for my son if you are involved with lots of long term contract negotiations and arbitration cases. Will you give my son as much time as you give your client whose making you millions of dollars?"

Great question to ask. However, I disagree with your statement "If the answer is no, you are an honest man. If the answer is yes everyone is treated equally, beware." If an Agent won't take care of all his clients equally, I wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole.