Skip to main content

Reply to "Who Is The Best Travel Program In NJ?"

Agreed, anyone above 90 is going to get more looks. anyone. Adding the 6'8" is a super bonus and makes recruiting even easier. That's awesome. Congrats!!  

To get back on topic of Best Travel Program, I would echo what others have said. It's the best team you can get on, play, and have a coaching staff with connections to have colleges coaches on the other end pick up the phone. A lot will say they can do that or show you pictures of them with Tim Corbin or whatever, but those that can help with the connections and evaluations at the next level is your best bet. You don't have to travel all over, if you can get in front of the right scouts, and coaches, at the right time.

For us, our Local (Austin) Travel Team (Regional travel to Dallas, Houston and occasional GA or AZ) could do just that. However, my son wanted to get out of Texas and since this team barely left the state, that made it difficult. We ended up taking weekends off to go attend camps (Duke/UNC) and landing on East Cobb Astros in the Fall as he wanted to go to Ft Meyers and Jupiter for both Fall WWBAs and our local team wasn't able to field a team to go.  HUGE gamechanger to get East, for him.  We're sticking with the East Cobb Astros this summer and fall. 

Get a good video and a good profile and shop around. We sent my son's baseball profile (I've posted about it here and shared example), with information, coach's contact, metrics, links to videos and tweet urls for awards, etc. to the top Teams in the country and because he was throwing 90 at the time, was invited to play with Team Elite and East Cobb. East Cobb has been phenomenal, better connections and conversations with coaches and scouts. Way quicker turn around and promotion. Again, it helps to throw 90-91 in Ft Meyers and 92 and a perfect game in Jupiter,  as a Junior, and that caused the phone to blow up, but he couldn't have done that if he couldn't have been there and played.

Know your range of play and go after it. Lots of choices to play at the next level, D1-3, Juco, NAIA, etc. All great experiences and prep. Having a coach or program that will realistically put you in touch with the appropriate programs, at the right time, is huge and that is what makes them the Best, for you.