Skip to main content

Reply to "Who should get the Heisman?"

quote:
Originally posted by Tooldforthis:
According to what has been written out here, Gerhart told told his coach not to hype him and wanted to do it on his ability. I think that people look at him as not big enough (height) to be an NFL running back, by today's standard, but if you watch him he bowls over LB's and DB's by lowering his body and massive leg drive.
He reminds me of of old school running backs or fullbacks Like Czonka.

I agree with that - if he is as good as Czonka then he is one heck of a player.

Dear Old Dad - what makes your opinion any more objective than mine? In fact, why can't you just state your opinion without attacking mine? All opinions are subjective in some sense so I don't really understand your argument that yours is somehow based on "objectivty."

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/.../fbs_9games_cumm.pdf

The above is a link on strength of schedule. Alabama is ranked #2 and Stanford is #81. Maybe Stanford's offensive line is not as good as Alabama but I believe Alabama played against better defenses and I believe the defensive stats would objectively support my view. Notably they beat the defending National Champions and #4 Florida in the SEC title game and Ingram shined in that game.

Another poster in this thread noted that defense was not a strength of the Pac10 this year and I have to agree with him. I watched Oregon and Oregon State in the Pac10 championship game and I am not sure I saw any defense played in that game. Granted, those are both fine offensive teams but I don't believe Pac10 defenses are anything even remotely close to an NFL defense which brings me to my original point. Gerhart reminds me of Tommy Vardell who I saw up close and personal in the NFL. Making that comparison is no put down on Gerhart or "criticism" as 99% of all college players do not go on to the NFL. Moreover, Vardell was a first round draft choice. I think Gerhart looks like a great college player, with lots of heart, who can sometimes bowl Pac10 players over and often times break tackles from Pac10 players. I don't believe his ability translates to the NFL however. I guess we'll see what the NFL scouts think in April.

Maybe the USC coach was right in his "subjective" opinion that Gerhart had a better future as a linebacker.
Last edited by ClevelandDad