Skip to main content

Reply to "Who validates the numbers that go into the statistical databases?"

quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
Sure. When you count 6 and 4 left on base, you are adding up the number of runners who were on base when the inning ended.

That's a kind of team stat. But the box score records a stat on a per player basis. Take for instance a lead-off single followed by three strikeouts. Each of batters 2 through 4 left a runner on base. So at the end of the inning, 1 runner is left on base, but the box will show 3 failures to score the runner.

To tell the truth, I’ve never in all my years heard LOBs defined in that manner. I’m not saying it isn’t true, but where do I find it defined?

I’ll have to go back and check to see if that’s what they’ve done. To be honest, it seems like a pretty worthless stat to me if used that way, but then again, since it isn’t my stat, someone must think it has some value.

Well, I checked, and if its that an LOB is credited to a batter, as in he left a runner on base, the numbers are just as far off the other way.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I’d sure like to know where that definition is. Post it if you can.

Thanx!