Skip to main content

Reply to "Who validates the numbers that go into the statistical databases?"

quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
If you're looking at Gameday box score, you'll see that they also list Team LOB as 6 for Cleveland, and 4 For KC. It's the last entry for each team under "Batting".

I went through the Summary of the game, and got 12 and 8 as the number of batters who left a runner on base, using the following criterion.

I don't have a source for this, but basically if a batter ends his plate appearance without an official at bat, or if he gets a hit, then no runners are charged to his LOB total. Otherwise, any runners who were on base that did not score are counted against him as LOB.

OK, I found that. Thanx.

I was given this definition by someone on another board.

LOB - "Runners Left on Base" - When a player bats with at least one runner on base, he is charged with one (or more) runners left on base when his plate appearance is over, unless one of the following events occurs: he reaches base safely without another runner being put out as the direct result of his plate appearance; his batted ball results in a runner's scoring, even if he or another runner is put out on the play.Another way of putting it: At the end of a plate appearance resulting in an out created by his contact, a batter is charged with an LOB for each runner occupying a base at the conclusion of that plate appearance. This includes the batter himself, should he occupy a base.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.co...cs_and_abbreviations

I sure don’t mean to make light of any stat, but in all my years, I’ve never once seen or heard of anyone looking at LOBs that way. Now it may be that everyone but me just KNOWS about individual LOBs, but don’t talk much about them because they’re so intuitive and part of the fabric of the game, but I’m the 1st to admit to total iggerince!

Now I’ll have to try to find some kind of application of that particular metric so I can see if I can make any sense out of it. Wink