Skip to main content

Reply to "Who was the best pitcher you ever witnessed pitch at the HS level?"

Originally Posted by Midlo Dad:

Midlo Son.

And no, I am not joking.

Knowing a little bit about your son - I think that's very probably a fair assessment. 

infielddad said something nice about one of our sons up above - I'm not really sure I agree with him.  That son was a 'scary' HS pitcher in that he threw very hard and struck out a lot of kids, but I wouldn't put him in the category of 'best' HS pitcher I ever saw.  His younger brother was a better HS pitcher than him - lower ceiling (less size and velo), but more refined and better coached in HS and won an awful lot of games.

Anyways, I do agree with infielddad about that Kyle Blair/Kevin Eichorn game, both pro prospects, that went into extra innings tied at 0-0.  That game wasn't won until one of them was lifted after 7 (Blair) which was the right thing to do.  If I remember right, Eichorn won it himself at the plate with a walkoff double.

I'll give you one that I think you'll see in the big leagues late this year - September callup I believe - Robert Stephenson (Reds).  He played with our younger son in travel ball, was the Reds 1st round pick in 2011.  Big frame, loose, mid 90s with 3 pitches and that was in HS.  He's progressed well in the minor leagues and is in big league camp this year.  If he stays healthy, he's gonna be a special pitcher for a long time.  Also one of the nicest kids and family I've met along the way.  Very easy to root for this young man.

Last edited by justbaseball