Skip to main content

Reply to "Who will be the next FC Head Coach"

Local8SS,
I have to agree w/ you on some points & disagree on others.

I agree w/ you on Coach Wilson's distingished career & the good he's done w/ young men on the FCHS, Commonwealth East squad, Tidewater Drillers among others. Not counting the time spent, on his yearly developmental clinics & AAU 16 & under National Tournament held in Tidewater three years ago. He will truly be missed.

I also agree, that anyone that's ever coached between the lines is the major malfunction when things go wrong & the players had the talent when all is well.

But I have to strongly disagree that AAU baseball "has killed the skill level". If anything its "raised the bar" for talent level. I understand that today's product may be watered down from a few years ago but all you have to do is look at the current players that are having success at the college level(CAA player of the year/All American - Chris Rahl, Team USA candidate - Ryan Zimmerman, among others & professional level (1st round draft picks - Michael Cuddyer, B.J. Upton, David Wright, Matt Moses & others currently playing pro ball) & projected '05 1st rounders (Upton & Bristow). What each have in common is that they have played w/ strong AAU programs. They each knew that you can't bring your game to the next level without playing against higher competition. AAU offered this. I know AAU baseball has its flaws, but a lot of high school coaches are thankful for what it done for their programs.
Last edited by valefty44