Skip to main content

Reply to "Who's swing models your idea best?"

For what it’s worth! Here is a story.

There was a young high school player in 1988 who to this day still holds the all time records at his high school for Batting average, RBI, Home runs, doubles, most hits and some other things. This is a high school that is 60 years old with over 2,000 students at the time he played there.

The player then went to a top JUCO program and set records for batting average, home runs and RBI. This young player had always hit exceptionally well from the first organized league he ever played in all the way through two years of college. He was always, by far, the best hitter where ever he played.

While this kid was young his dad who was a scout at the time noticed some flaws in his approach and in his swing. His dad decided to just leave him alone because the kid was doing so well. The dad thought maybe the kid is just a natural. The high school and JUCO coaches also left him alone because he was so productive. Everyone took the approach… if it aint broke don’t fix it.

The players first year in pro ball he started to struggle and the hitting coach then spread him out and changed a few things. They were basically the same things that the player’s father noticed when the player was a young boy. The hitter did not adjust readily to the new style and struggled even more. After that season he was given his release and out of professional baseball because he couldn’t hit. His father then felt very bad that he didn’t help his son make the obvious adjustments at a much earlier age. The dad felt selfish because he just loved seeing his son tear it up and wasn’t willing to change anything. After all, his kid was a star at the time. His dad thought, only if I had it to do over.

By the way, this story is based on a very true experience. I know because I was that dad!