Skip to main content

Reply to "Who's swing models your idea best?"

BlueDog,

We are not talking about bat speed here. We are talking about follow through. Everyone will agree that you want the best bat speed at contact. I just don't believe it's possible to shut it off or soften up exactly at contact. This gets back to margin of error and the inability to be absolutely perfect on every pitch. Perfect contact with perfect timing is the goal, but the best hit better than others without "perfect" timing. Actually the very best have perfect timing more than the others. All the hitters you've mentioned will have a fluid barrel arc some ending higher than others, but all will be continous. If I see a hitter who is not continous, he needs help.

quote:
Once the bat contacts the ball, there is nothing that can be done to affect the flight of the ball.

True, except what happens after contact can have an adverse affect on what's happening before and during contact IMO.

quote:
And, as much batspeed as possible should be released, absolutely used up, at bat/ball contact......

I would rephrase that to "perfection would be getting the best bat speed at contact." You can't possibly get to it and immediately have it absolutely used up. There is nothing in athletics where you reach a peak and absolutely use it all up instantly. There's always a period of time that the bat will maintain close to the same speed before it slows down. It's just not possible to reach it and instantaniously have it "absolutely used up."

Sprinters try to get to maximum speed as quickly as possible. Some get there sooner than others. Once they get there their goal is to maintain that speed as long as possible. In fact, once they reach maximum speed they keep it for a very short while and then begin to slow down. If they just got there and used everything up they would simply fall down.

Same goes for pitchers, they do not stop immediately after letting go of the ball. The follow through is very important to a pitcher and it is equally important to a hitter IMO.

I'm not sure I can explain very well, but whether serving in tennis, hitting a golf ball, throwing a pitch, swinging a bat, pole vaulting, sprinting, shot putting or anything else there is always the finish. Look very closely at the hitting videos and it will become crystal clear.

I certainly have no interest in changing your mind about anything. We just have a difference of opinion on the value of the finish. And I don't quite understand what you mean by going soft at contact. Or do you mean going soft right after contact? I think I know the answer because of some past threads about the importance of hand strength.