Skip to main content

Reply to "Who's to blame?"

Getting drafted has NOTHING to do with academics. Football and basketball players are normally seniors by the time their drafts roll around. If you've banked your whole life/college career around being drafted and you slacked off during school and flunk out/don't graduate then YES by all means the school should be accountable for that (anybody ever see 'The Program'?) If you're playing baseball at a D1, you can't be drafted until your junior year or you turn 21 and most kids I know would rather take a chance at playing - they can always go back to school later - thats their attitude - so the school is going to get penalized. This ruling is going to hurt baseball programs WAY more than football or basketball for this very reason. Please do not misunderstand me. I believe academics are be #1 but this is about the number of scholarships available for teams and if you've been on this board any time at all you KNOW that the NCAA rulings inherently hurt baseball more than any other sport. Just look at the number of schollies available as compared to football. That's been discussed. Look at the article posted on the front page of this website concerning Miss St (think that's right) coach and his views on the NCAA. Look at how much $$$$ football programs get when their team wins the National Championship vs how much a team gets for winning the CWS. There's no comparison.