Skip to main content

Reply to "Why all the angst?"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Originally Posted by TPM:

Posting this same topic  on 4 different sites proves my point.

Actually, I did it to see if it was just me who thought many of the folks on this site were a bit over the top when it comes to this subject, or if perhaps it was me being crazy and unreasonable. I proved to myself that its this site, for whatever reason. There was lots of con on the other sites, but nothing like this one. For the most part, everywhere but here the discussion was pretty well balanced with little vindictiveness on either side.

I keep trying to tell people that no one has a lock on what’s right. There are a lot of ways to look at anything, and I think its too bad the bulk of those willing to speak on the subject here carry so much animosity toward me, and for what? For looking at baseball statistics and opining that they have value. Think about it.

FWIW, its really too bad from my point of view because there’s a lot of knowledge here that could be shared. But I guess once you believe you have all the answers, there’s no reason to be open to anything other than those things you happen to believe.

Stats,

OK, consider me pushed over the edge - into ANGST, if you will.  I have had many discussions/arguments with you here on the topic.  I'll echo what MANY here have stated.  You consistently have selective hearing, are demeaning, take things out of context, make far-reaching assumptions and more.  During the course of discussion regarding stats, I have stated on numerous occasions that I value and use stats as one of many important tools but also argue that much of what a coach needs to know, he can see with his own eyes.  Every time I made that argument, you completely ignored the first part and belittled me for being ignorant to think I, or any other coach, could accomplish the latter.  (I would go back and pull up old threads but haven't figured out how to easily find pre-format change posts).

I have long since given up on having any sort of meaningful dialog with you (although I occasionally get sucked back in).  I have seen many experienced baseball folk here who are otherwise very articulate, thoughtful and capable of controlled debate become equally frustrated with your antics - MANY!!.  I have had many PM me and share their frustrations and/or encourage me not to get caught up in your games.  Of the hundreds of regulars and thousands of visitors, I don't hear anything remotely close about anyone else.  I have also read where you do have a similar reputation on other sites.  So, if you truly believe that it is this site that is the problem, let me be the first to invite you to eliminate the problem from your routine.  Now that I know you have so many better options, I don't feel bad in suggesting that.

One of the important lessons I have learned here is that no one has all the answers and there is certainly no one here who believes they do - another ridiculous statement.

I, too, think it's too bad because, IF presented properly, with reasonable respect to others, your knowledge and information can be of great help.  But that IF has long since sailed.

"Actually, I did it to see if it was just me who thought many of the folks on this site were a bit over the top when it comes to this subject, or if perhaps it was me being crazy and unreasonable."

REALLY??? THAT'S WHY YOU STARTED THIS THREAD?????

Again, let me be the first to invite you to take your experiments elsewhere.  If it were my site, it would be much stronger than an invite.