Skip to main content

Reply to "why committ early?"

Right up front, I agree with infielddad's and fenwaysouth's comments.

I will echo one of fenwaysouth's comments..."early" anymore is not a rising senior. It would be a rising junior or sophomore. Those are now the "early" commitments. Rising senior? Now is about the time (or fast approaching) for a commitment for signing in November.

I am not a fan of "early commitments"...meaning junior or sophomore year. Having said that, our 2nd baseball playing son did commit "early" in his junior year. Why did he do it and why did we allow it?

The answer to both questions is pretty simple...he had offers from 2 of his top 3 school choices (the 3rd probably being a little out of reach for him and we knew that) and we went over the list of 'other' possibilities and realized there were no other schools that he would be more interested in. So, in effect, he had his 'dream school scenario' in front of him, it was a pretty good fit academically, his HS and summer coaches both thought it was a good scenario for him...so he made the commitment.

Once the commitment was made, that was it and he knew it. A few other schools asked 'how committed' he was, but that was quickly dismissed. Our belief is, once you give your word, you're gonna keep it and despite a position coach change that will affect him, he never wavered. He leaves for college in about 5 weeks.
Last edited by justbaseball