Skip to main content

Reply to "Why do you play?"

cabbagedad posted:
Iowamom23 posted:

Here's what my 2018 told the coach who asked. I like his answer, and that he spelled most of the words right!!

I feel that I play out of love of the game. I've grown up around it and come to understand the beauty behind it, the complexity behind every pitch. Everything someone does on a baseball field, even as minor as two steps to your left, can have major impact on the remainder of the game and that just become so intriguing to me. I love trying to understand why someone threw that pitch, or why they bunted rather than try a hit and run or other things. The game itself, in a sense, is why I play the game. 

Wow.  I'm trying to imagine a way in which that even remotely compares to the garbled mess that typically came out of the mouths of my kids when they were HS juniors. 

Son spends much of his time with his grandfather, a history professor and long-time baseball fan. Dad hasn't so much taught him about baseball (son is a Yankees' fan, dad is a Reds' fan) as he's taught him to think about the game, and apparently, to put his thoughts into words. I'm really grateful.