Skip to main content

Reply to "Why is this?"

This a "true"story.

In 1984, we were preparing for our Goodwill Series II against the Japan National HS Team.

The California pro scouts recommended players from Northern California for our American High School Team for this 1st trip to Japan.

This was my 2nd year coaching American Legion baseball in a "new" SF Bay Area league of 5 teams [40 future ML players played in this league for my 6 years of coaching.

A very good player from Stockton, a catcher and strong hitter who impressed our players. I asked his father, a ML Scout and former MLB pitcher. "Can your son play on the "highest" level in Baseball?"

The father did not think his son Ed Sprague JR. could play on this level. Of course, he could and later played Stanford, MLB "All Star" player and Olympic player now the Head Coach at UOP.

During my 17 years with the Area Code games and 27 years in International Baseball, I learned that former ML players do not promote their son.

This year to Australia, we have Dante Bischette Jr,
Tucker Ward and Tyler Watson traveling and each player was recommended by a pro scout not by the father.

In summary, it is the player himself, who will find a way to "step up" to the plate and make the necessary adjustments.

Each of our teams will play 13 games in 15 days against the best players in Australia.

Our coaches, 9 pro scouts will teach the game and our players will be prepared for college or pro baseball.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Williams