Skip to main content

Reply to "Why move your best player out of position?"

quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
It isn't just the outs. Knocking balls down. Keeping it in the infield, adjusting to bad throws, holding runners, etc

If they can't do this then they don't need to be in the game.

I guess the question is - how big is gap between best player on the team versus to someone who is adequate? If the backup in your example can't do those things then the gap between him and the best player is too big.

If you have a ball up the middle that's a tough one to get but the stud can make the play. I expect his replacement to be pretty daggone close to making it as well. That little bit of "umph" to get that ball is the tradeoff I'm willing to sacrifice by making this move. Reason is that play won't really happen very often. It's either a clean hit up the middle for both guys or it's a play made by either guy. If the replacement guy can't make this play close then he shouldn't be there.

This is also on the contigency that the backup can't play another position for whatever reason. Like I said earlier I would want to avoid this if at all possible but sometimes you just have to do it. But if you do it then make sure to consider all the possibilities first.