Skip to main content

Reply to "Why move your best player out of position?"

quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
Cabbagedad, if the other guys are solid middle infielders then they should be able to cover the outfield or play somewhere else. Plus if they aren't good enough to start it is in their best interest to learn a new position.

DM,
Please re-read the scenario I described. The two MIF's WERE good enough to start with the proper juggling and the pros outweighed the cons.

A similar (and real) example - Last year, we tried to move the best 3b to RF because the #2 3b had a good bat compared to some other starters and we figured #1 3b was plenty athletic enough and had the arm strength to play RF. Didn't work in that instance because #1 3b turned out to be totally uncomfortable and a liability in OF. My point being that not all good IF's can make that transition, including an athletic one.

In another instance, a few years back, before the team had depth, the best SS had to move to C because starting C was giving up too many bases with past balls and inability to keep runners from stealing. The team lost a lot at SS but gained more by saving lots of free bases. This controled the chaos and allowed the team to begin to compete. Pros and cons. I know this isn't quite the same comparison because SS and C both have lots of touches, but still another scenario where a best player would get moved.

I do agree with your points about the importance of being as strong as you can be in certain positions such as SS (and C). All factors that have to be weighed.
Last edited by cabbagedad