Skip to main content

Reply to "Why My Son Will Never Receive One Ounce Of Hitting Instruction!"

I too thought the throwing comment odd.  I wonder what might have happened had Lantz instructed his daughter?  Most have seen my throw.  She threw that way because she was taught to throw that way.  I recall when she was 12, a former St. Louis Cardinal pitcher asked what she was doing as she was doing a scap loading drill.  He commented that no one does that and it was a bad idea to have her do it.  Ironically, the next year, BB and I were watching the Cardinals go through workouts in spring training and ... yup, they were doing the same drill. 

Again, I don't disagree with the initial premise of allowing a child to discover and have fun.  I don't disagree with positive reinforcement.  Still, there is a place for proper instruction.  My daughter just left to give lessons.  She gives a limited number of lessons and so, she sat down with me to go over each hitter she is going to work with tonight.  She doesn't believe in one lesson fits all.  So, we came to agreement on these hitters and she was so excited.  That rubs off on the players as well.  Instruction can be a positive thing.  JMHO!